One of the closest relationships I have outside of my immediate family is with my little sister. She is my Sissy! A beautiful young lady with the sweetest little girls, 2 to be exact. I'll call them the Divas...Diva 1 and Diva 2. The reason why I think we are so close is that we are so much alike. That's not always a good thing, it's caused us to have our battles, but when it comes to doing my first baking job, it's a great thing! My Sissy hired me to make Tinkerbell cupcakes for Diva 2's 2nd birthday. This meant a lot to me because I have literally started baking 4 months ago and she believed in me enough to trust me to make cupcakes for all of her guest to see! See, in our family, birthdays are a pretty big deal. They are the celebration of a life. A way to show our appreciation and glee that someone we love made it to another year. And Sissy doesn't play, she's serious about her Divas! She was also the one to start the birthday cupcake trend, going to upscale professional cupcake bakeries to purchase her celebratory confections. Then, she heard I was trying out this thing called baking and decided to take a chance on me...*tear*
After consulting with her, we decided I'd make lemon creme cupcakes and go with a lime and lavender color scheme. My original plan was to make gum paste flowers to put on top of the cupcakes. By the way, I've never even touched gum paste before! If you can't guess how that went, I'll tell you. I will never ever attempt to touch gum paste again until I have taken a class on it! Lucky, being the intuitive person that I am, the sales lady at Cake Crafts talked me into purchasing the cutest Tinkerbell rings..."just in case." Having a plan b saved the day. Not only was I responsible for flowers feeling death by gum paste, but I didn't make enough frosting for all of the cupcakes and I was also running late, having an allergy attack, hungry, needing to pee, needing to breastfeed and having to keep my head on straight as I tried to make everything sound under control after the 10th call from Sissy! So, as you can see, I had quite an experience. The Tinkerbell rings are what got me through (and prayer). But not to worry, everything did eventually work out. I just so happened to have extra vanilla buttercream frosting, that I made earlier, in the fridge. It wasn't lemon, but it was good! I also ate, peed and fed the baby before heading out to the party. I never stopped sneezing though...
Anyway, long story short, it felt like a real job. My Sissy loved the cupcakes and she loved the fact that I showed up even more! We sang "Happy Birthday" and ate CAKE!
No comments:
Post a Comment