Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My Birthday Dessert Tour Kick off!

This past weekend was my birthday and the one thing I wanted to do was to start a Dessert Tour.  A Dessert Tour is something that I came up with in order to try fabulous desserts from different restaurants around Denver.  I want to see what's out there!  As an aspiring pastry chef, I think it's important to taste different dishes so you can get a sense of what you would like to eat at the end of a meal. There is this AMAZING little place that a couple of friends of mine took me to called D Bar Desserts. I was very pregnant the first time I went and I wanted to go back for my birthday to see what it would be like with a non-hormonal palate. I also thought it would be a great start to my dessert tour.


A few months back I stopped by to see if I could do a shadowing and spoke with Keegan Gerhard of Food Network Challenge, who is the owner.  He told me he would allow me to shadow this fall if he had an opening and to stay on top of him about it. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to bring in some friends, show my face again and have them all spend some money.  It happened to be a success! The desserts were delicious, hanging out with my friends was absolutely wonderful and Keegan was kind enough to take a picture of the birthday girl, at a fabulous friend of mines' request.


I had a blast celebrating with my girls and The Hubby!  My dear friend Mrs. Preggers, who is working on her third child, had the Ice Cream Sandwich with a rock sugar waffle, vanilla bean ice cream, 3 cherry compote and amaretto cream. YUM!

 

Another close friend of mine, Mrs. Sassy, who always says what's on her mind, had the Big Boy Charmel which is a chocolate caramel tart, caramel ice cream, fluer de sel and a Godiva affogato! It looked great but I'll have to look up what affogato means and tell you later.





The Hubby and I shared the Nu Flay which is a Guayakil 64% chocolate souffle', Nutella beignets and a candied hazelnut ice cream.  It was fabulous.  Exactly what I needed to satisfy my chocoholic cravings without it being too sweet.  My favorite thing on the plate by far were the Nutella beignets.  They are soft pastries filled with warm Nutella.  I didn't even care for Nutella before this experience and now I'm hooked!


Overall, I had a wonderful experience. It was a memorable way to celebrate my 28th birthday, with delicious sweets and sweet friends! I hope you'll tune in to see what restaurant I choose next, but because I have 3 children, it may be a while.  In the mean time, I'll be happy to share whatever baking experiences pop up next!

p.s. Eat Cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment